Node Runners - Frequently Asked Questions

NOTE: The node client isn’t released yet. Sign up to the newsletter and be the first one to test the radix node when it is released. LINK: https://radixdlt.typeform.com/to/TGOduF

Can I have several nodes/clients behind the same IP address?
Yes. You may have multiple nodes behind a single IP address but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you increase the chance of earning more rewards.

Do I require a static IP address to run a node?
Yes, you need a static IP address to run a node. In most cases, you will have to configure your router to port forward. A static IP address gives a fixed address to your computer on the local network at your business. Port forwarding is used by computers on the Internet to connect to a specific device on your internal network. To set up port forwarding, you must assign specific ports or a range of ports to a specific IP address.

How do I get one?
You may get a static IP address from your internet service provider or the easier option is to run the node on a VPS with a static IP like Digitalocean or Vultr. As the node runs in a docker container, it will be fairly easy to spin a radix node in minutes.

What are the minimum hardware requirements to run a node?
The current requirements are

• 2 CPU cores
  • 8 GB memory
  • 256 GB disk

Is there a guide to set up a node?
A pre-release guide to help you get started with the node-client software is published.Click here to read. We will notify you when the node client is released.

Do you need Radix tokens to host a node?
No, you do not require tokens to host a node.

Is there a main net or testnet to test or run a node?
There’s a private testnet on https://explorer.radixdlt.com/, but no public testnet yet, there will be open developer alpha/beta in the near future.

Sign up to the Node Runner Newsletter and be the first one to test the radix node when it is released.
LINK: https://radixdlt.typeform.com/to/TGOduF

When runner node mainnet?? Good job team Radix! :+1:

Hi Angad, please could you explain why several nodes behind the same IP will not necessarily increase rewards. I presume by extension to increase reward I would have to install more computers so how do you think that would pan out economically versus running multiple nodes on one computer since presumably I would have to secure multiple dedicated IP’s. plus more computers, albeit low end machines. Thanks.

Is the potential for rewards higher if we used higher performing computers than that which is cited such as quad cores, 64K Ram and ssd hard disks of minimum 1TB? Thanks

Hi There!

Node runner fees come from two sources:

• Atom Fees
  • Network Subsidy

Please refer to the recently released Economic Whitepaper regarding these fees.

tl;dr: both fees take into account that you are running an active Origin Node.

We are still defining what “Origin Node” means. The properties we have defined thus far include:

• publicly accessible (internet)
  • ability to send/receive atoms on behalf of a client

Current alphanet (testnet) is fee-less and only allows a single node per public IP address (over HTTPS port 443).
We are looking into supporting custom ports for betanet/mainnet but it has to align well with the (future) “Origin Node” definition and fees in question.

Hope this helps and sorry I cannot give more details than this at this point.

Hi Zalan. Thanks for the info. I’d like to suggest that in addition to the custom ports, that it should be possible to run an “Origin Node” on a dynamic IP. This will allow the average person to run nodes from home rather than require them to spin up a hosted VM or purchase a static IP. You already have to be able to handle the case where a node goes down temporariliy. When a node reconnects it can advertise both its IP and port and if the IP/port has changed then that can be propogated to the other nodes and then to the clients when they need a transaction verified.